What are dental fillings?
A dental filling is a way to restore a tooth that has been badly decayed, cracked, or damaged. When a cavity is formed it creates a hole in the tooth that bacteria can enter and break down the structure of the tooth. A dental filling will close the hole, preventing further bacteria from entering the tooth and causing more decay. By removing the decayed portion of the tooth, our dentists can restore your tooth back to its normal function and structure.
It is important to understand that a filling is not permanent or will last forever. However, with the proper oral hygiene and care, a dental filling can last for a long time.
What is the process for getting a filling?
One of the most common procedures we perform here at Smile Dental is the process of filling a tooth. There are a few simple steps we will do during the procedure which include:
- We will begin, by numbing the gums and area surrounding the tooth to lessen any discomfort you may feel during the procedure.
- Next, using specialized dental instruments, we will remove the decay from the tooth. Usually a small precise dental drill is used to remove the decay. If the decay is not removed, the tooth can become further damaged.
- Once the decay has been removed, the tooth will need to be cleaned and the cavity will be filled. These fillings can be made out of a number of materials, all of which offer different benefits. Each filling material is different, but they all help restore the structure and functionality of the tooth.
- A curing light will be used to harden the filling material, and your tooth will be restored back to its normal function and strength.
What are the reasons to get a dental filling?
Each patient we see has individual and specific needs, and no two patients are the same. Having a filling procedure done will depend on the patient’s circumstance and the reasons a filling is needed. There are many reasons that a filling would need to be placed. Some of those reasons include:
- Cavities– whether someone has a small or large cavity, a filling is needed to prevent any further decay from happening to the tooth
- Broken or fractured teeth– if a tooth has some structural damage, a white composite resin can be used to repair the tooth
- Pain in the tooth- if you experience pain such as throbbing, or sharp pain then you may need a filling.
- Sensitivity – If you have extreme sensitivity to hot or cold food or liquids you may need to have a filling due to decay.
If you feel that you may need to have a dental filling, please call our office at (619) 334-8743 immediately to set up an appointment. Our helpful staff members will be happy to assist you further.